Interdistrict Information

Inter-District Transfers (IDT)

The inter-district process allows students who lives outside the district to apply for attendance at a school other than their school of residence. The IDT option is available based on board approved criteria including child care needs, program offerings, parent employment, and continued attendance (see Board Policy 5117).  Students attending from another district under an IDT need to apply each year to have the permit renewed. Academic, behavior and attendance requirements must be met to maintain continued enrollment under the terms of the inter-district agreement.

The window to apply for an inter-district permit for the 2022-2023 school year begins on January 5, 2022. Requests will be processed on an ongoing bases. 

The process to request transfer into a HUSD school from another school district must begin in the district of residence. 

Approval Criteria

The Superintendent or designee may approve an interdistrict attendance permit for a student for any of the following reasons when stipulated in the agreement:

1. When the student has been determined by staff of either the district of residence or district of proposed attendance to be a victim of an act of bullying as defined in Education Code 48900(r). Such a student shall be given priority for interdistrict attendance under any existing interdistrict attendance agreement or, in the absence of an agreement, shall be given consideration for the creation of a new permit.  (Education Code 46600)

2. To meet the child care needs of the student.  Such a student may be allowed to continue to attend district schools only as long as he/she continues to use a child care provider within district boundaries.

3. To meet the student's special mental or physical health needs as certified by a physician, school psychologist, or other appropriate school personnel.

4. When the student has a sibling attending school in the receiving district, to avoid splitting the family's attendance.

5. To allow the student to complete a school year when his/her parents/guardians have moved out of the district during that year.

6. To allow the student to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary, middle, or senior high school.

7. To allow a high school senior to attend the same school he/she attended as a junior, even if his/her family moved out of the district during the junior year.

8. When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the year in the district.

9. When the student will be living out of the district for one year or less.

10. When recommended by the school attendance review board or by county child welfare, probation, or social service agency staff in documented cases of serious home or community problems which make it inadvisable for the student to attend the school of residence.

11. When there is valid interest in a particular educational program not offered in the district of residence.

12. To provide a change in school environment for reasons of personal and social adjustment.

13. When the student's parent/guardian is an employee of the Hughson Unified School District.

14. Residential proximity to school may be given consideration in the instance of requests by HUSD feeder school students to attend a high school outside the district if the student lives closer to the school of request than to HHS.  Based upon this and other factors, requests may be approved.

Denial Criteria and Process

The Superintendent or designee may deny initial requests for interdistrict attendance permits due to limited district resources, overcrowding of school facilities at the relevant grade level, or other considerations that are not arbitrary.  However, once a student is admitted, the district may not deny him/her continued attendance because of overcrowded facilities at the relevant grade level. 

If the transfer request is for a school year that begins within 15 calendar days of the receipt of the request, the Superintendent or designee shall notify the parent/guardian of the final decision within 30 calendar days of receiving the request. If the transfer request is for a school year that begins more than 15 calendar days after the receipt of the request, the parent/guardian shall be notified of the final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction during that school year.  (Education Code 46600.2)

If a student's interdistrict transfer request is denied, the Superintendent or designee shall, in writing, notify the parents/guardians of their right to appeal to the County Board of Education within 30 calendar days from the date of the final denial.  (Education Code 46600.2)

Revocation of Permit

Inter-district permits may be revoked at any time that a student does not maintain acceptable standards of attendance and/or behavior as defined by the Student Conduct Code and/or maintain acceptable levels of academic achievement.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.